Today we’re excited to announce a huge update to the BreweryDB API that we’ve been working for the last several months. We’ve added some new features and optimized a lot of the underlying architecture to drastically increase the responsiveness of the API. Without further ado, here are some of the highlights!
Completely overhauled search engine
We’ve rebuilt the search engine from the ground up to be more user-friendly and to help make finding exactly what you’re looking much more reliable.
New ingredients endpoints
You’ve been asking for it, now you’ve got it! We’ve overhauled the ingredients endpoint and added more metadata than you can shake a stick at. The documentation will tell you all of the details, but there are four new endpoints: yeast, fermentable, hop, and adjunct. These each now return more than just the name of the ingredient; each ingredient has a number of associated metadata fields that gets returned. This would be perfect information for someone building, say, a recipe creator?
For the last few months, we have been tracking all the changes that happen BreweryDB. Adding a beer? Updating a brewery location? We’ve kept a record. We’ve been sending these updates out to our premium users as web hook notifications, but now that data is available via the change endpoint. The change endpoint provides a really cool running history of what has happened with BreweryDB. This endpoint is only available to our premium users.
The documentation pages now have a list of possible return fields for each of the primary endpoints. This should help explain some of the more obscure fields as well as allow you to know what kinds of data you can expect to be returned.
- The socialaccounts endpoints and flags now return the actual link that you can use to link to the social site for a given beer, brewery, guild, or event. You no longer have to build that link yourself.
- You can now use the withImages filter on /beers, /breweries, /guilds, and /events
- If you’re using Webhooks, you will now also be passed the sub attribute ID of what was changed so you don’t have to figure it out yourself.
- In case you missed it, there are new /beer/random and /brewery/random endpoints so that you can retrieve a random beer or brewery. These both support the withImages filter too.
- Significant improvements have been made on the backend to improve performance of the API. We’ve upgraded infrastructure to more powerful servers and used some aggressive caching techniques, all so we can deliver results to you faster.
We hope you enjoy these new features. We are already working on the next great list of features for the API, so if you haven’t subscribed yet, sign up today!